July 27, 2009

Robots Invade the Great American Pastime

baseballbot.jpg

Professor Masatoshi Ishikawa, from the University of Tokyo, has managed to come up with a couple of robotic baseball players. The Pitcher is a 3-fingered hand that can throw a foam ball 90% of the time in the strike zone at 25 mph. (We guess the other 10% is to keep things interesting.) The Batter has a sensor to detect strikes and balls, lets the balls go by, and hits 100% when it does swing.

The professor is working on getting the batter to hit in all parts of the field and increasing the pitching speed to 93 mph. While this is an interesting idea in the ability to make robots perform particular actions, we think the only ones who would watch a game with an entire robot team would be ASIMO and Wakamaru.

MLB

Read More in: Robot Science/Medicine

Share this Article with others: social bookmarking

Related Articles:

Came straight to this page? Visit Robot Snob for all the latest news.

Posted by Sheila Franklin at July 27, 2009 9:04 PM
Recent Comments

thanks, susan!


Posted by: sheila at August 27, 2009 4:49 PM
Post a comment









Remember personal info?




Please enter the letter "o" in the field below:
Please press Post only once. Submission of comments takes up to 20 seconds because of Spam Filtering.
Join the Mailing List Newsletter
Enter your Email

Subscribe - RSS

facebook_badge.jpg twitter_badge.jpg

Navigation

Visit our other properties at Blogpire.com!

Archives

TechPiree

This weblog is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Powered by
Movable Type 6.3
All items Copyright © 1999-2017 Blogpire Productions. Please read our Disclaimer and Privacy Policy